Welcome to the fourth Monday in March – there’s another Monday after this one! That seems like too many Mondays for one month. Something must be done about that – add another Saturday next month.
Random quote: The best way to find out if you can trust someone is to trust them.
This week’s edition of The Editor’s Desk is sponsored by no one. None of the previous issues have been sponsored either, so I’m keeping the streak alive.
Writing the call to action
Every piece of marketing content – such as newsletters and emails – needs a call to action. It tells the reader what you want them to do when they’re done reading your content. If you’ve done the job of writing persuasive marketing copy, and the reader has made it to the call to action, then they should know what to do… and they should want to press the subscribe button or reply to your question or do whatever it is what you want them to do.
So what makes an effective call to action?
- It is an ACTION – Subscribe / Donate / Download / Email / Call
- It has URGENCY – Use commanding words to imply the risk of waiting
- It has VALUE – Download this free guide / Discover the power of XX / Book a demo / Start your free trial
- It uses ACTIONABLE language – Get started / Reserve your seat today / Get it now
- It reduces RISK – Download and get started today / Start your free trial
- It makes it EASY to take action – One click to get started
- It is EMPOWERING – Click here to get your free trial
- It can be SEEN – Use white space and colour to make it stand out
Use these strategies when putting a call to action in your next email or letter of introduction. Let me know how it works for you.
More from The Editor’s Desk
Here are a few articles and blog posts I found worth sharing.
- Six old grammar rules that are finally going out of style from The Write Life
- 11 freelancer stereotypes that are total B.S. from Make a Living Writing
- The differences between line editing, copy editing, and proofreading from Jane Friedman
- Why worry about your readability level from Wylie Communications
- You have to be obsessed from Austin Kleon
- Books to read if you are a consultant from The Visible Authority
- The part-time creator manifesto from SWYX
Thanks for reading. If you liked what I wrote or think someone else would enjoy it, then please share it. And if you want to reach out, my email is email@example.com.
If you’ve read this far and you’re the first person to SEND ME AN EMAIL with the words I READ IT, I’ll mail you a free copy of my book, How to Run Your Company… Into the Ground.